There are two glass transoms in the house; a beveled one upstairs and another above the North inner door. The double doors on the North side were the original formal entry way.
The windows still have the original poured glass with many imperfections. Many windows on the inside have the original shutters. A number of shutters and other items original to the house were destroyed in the carriage house fire.
The carriage house which stood behind and to the right of the house caught fire in 1969.
In the front of the house, both the upstairs and downstairs have bay windows. The windows upstairs extend upward from the floor. Most of the rooms have eleven foot ceilings.
The library on the South side of the house has a bayed window with a window seat.
The railing on the curved front stairway is made of walnut constructed to look like one continuous piece of wood.
There are two sitting rooms upstairs, one at the top of the front stairs and another where the stairs go to the Cupola. The Cupola was used to look out over the grape vineyards.
The small back bedroom descends three steps and has a stairway that enters the kitchen. It also has a small walk-in closet. This room may have been a cook's quarters.
Originally the sink was in the walk-in pantry. The small door between the basement door and the cellar may have been used to transfer food kept in storage.
The cellar stairs are wide and have double doors. The basement walls are made of split field stone and the basement had a cistern and a coal storage area.
At one time the livingroom floor had a door which opened to a three foot crawl space. Possibly used as a root cellar.
The addition of the great room with fireplace and three car garage was designed by Allegretti and built in 1978.
The black walnut tree on the South side has been measured and is approximately 130 years old.
Although built by Thomas Stevens, he never lived in the home. He owned the property from 1869 until 1883 and it is believed to have been occupied by one of his sons.
This home has been researched by the Fort Miami Heritage Society.
In 1870, Mr. Stevens laid a village plat and called it Stevensville. On April 3, 1872 the village plat was legally recorded at the Berrien County Court House in Berrien Springs, Michigan. The Michigan Senate proclaimed the Village of Stevensville a chartered village in March of 1893.
The Stevens house was built one year before Stevens established the Stevensville Plat.